Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Too Close To Home

Today I wanted to do something a little different. As a mother, I can't possibly imagine the pain of losing a child. We all hope to never be in a situation like that. But sometimes, we can't control what life throws at us. I myself have been in difficult situations with my children. My first born was diagnosed with Pyloric Stenosis three weeks after his birth. He underwent surgery and luckily, 9 years later, he is a healthy young boy. My third baby was diagnosed last year with a severe staph infection one month before his first birthday. He had 3 golf size abscesses in his neck which needed surgery to drain. He spent almost a month at the hospital. Only getting discharged 3 days before his first birthday and with a picc line inserted in his arm so that I could administer IV antibiotics at home. It was always a bump in the road. Every time he seemed to be getting better, then he would get worse. Another abscess would appear meaning the bacteria in his body would not go away. It was scary, stressful and frustrating because you have no power to make it better. Luckily, after much antibiotics and hospital care, the bacteria was controlled and completely left his body. Now he is a happy and very active little 2 year old. But throughout his entire stay in the hospital undergoing 3 surgeries, many IV's inserted and removed, many blood drawings and lots of other things that are just too painful to remember, he kept a smile on his face and would always laugh with his doctors. They could not believe how such a small little boy going through so much could possibly smile. I truly believe it's the innocent soul that is inside all children. Which brings me to the reason for this post.
As a Miami Native, I too was touched by a little girl named Bella. Her fight with cancer and her joyful spirit has touched everyone around the world. Reading her story, you cant' help but think why are we always complaining about our lives and why are we always arguing and fighting and blaming everyone and everything around us for our problems. Bella embraced what God gave her and was thankful everyday. I didn't know her personally but I think I can speak for everyone when I say, I felt like I did. Bella is no longer here on earth with us but rather looking over us and her story and spirit will forever live on. Her parents are truly an inspiration to us all because of the strength they have shown to the world in dealing with their little girls passing but I really just can't imagine the pain of losing a child. As parents, we all hope and pray we are never in that situation. 
Below is a flyer of some Live Like Bella events that are taking place. With everyone's support, we can do our best to try to control childhood cancer. It's a very sad problem but a very real one and I think if everyone lends a hand we can work hard to find cures and keep our children running and laughing on our playgrounds here on earth! Please see below and help in any which way you can!
XOXO,
Isa




LIVE LIKE BELLA!

No comments:

Post a Comment